Smoke & Barley:
Cozy Winter Cocktail Recipe
The perfect holiday nightcap, delivered. Our seasonal Smoke & Barley cocktail is a grown-up version of beloved apple cider — a beguiling alchemy of bourbon, raw honey & lemon cordial, Gravenstein apple cider, dehydrated apple, and cinnamon. Toasty, smoky, bright and warming, this undeniably-festive cocktail is an idyllic fireside complement. Read on for our signature winter cocktail recipe from The Bar at MacArthur (note: Gravenstein apples are a historic and revered crop from Sonoma County. Should you have trouble finding this unique cider, try Northern Spy Apple or Granny Smith Apple as a substitute.)
Smoke & Barley Winter Cocktail Recipe
- 2 oz Woodford Reserve Bourbon
- 2 oz Apple Cider
- 1 oz Honey-Lemon Cordial (recipe below)
- Combine all ingredients into a shaker.
- Shake and strain into a rocks glass.
- Top with a cinnamon stick & apple chip.
- For extra points, you can smoke-rinse your glass following instructions from the Whisky Advocate.
- 3/4 cup Fynbos Honey
- 2 cups Water
- 3/4 cup Muscavado Dark Brown Sugar
- Juice and zest of 4 lemons, approximately 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Cook the cordial for 10-15 minutes until the mixture is amber in color and has a syrupy consistency.
- Remove from the heat then allow to cool completely.
- When the mixture is cool, strain the lemon zest out and pour into bottles.
- Keep refrigerated (cordial will last 2-3 months in a sterilized and refrigerated bottle.)
We recommend sipping with friends and family around a fire pit, hearth or candlelit table as you soak in the holiday season.